Saturday, April 21, 2012

nepal planning problems

I%26#39;m trying to plan a trip to Nepal to do a bit of trekking around May1-May20. Is this a good time to go? is it rainy and is the visibility still good during this month? also i will be traveling alone and i%26#39;m a young female. i%26#39;ve been trying to decide on going through a travel group (teahouse) so i won%26#39;t be alone although i know it is more expensive. i%26#39;ve also heard you can hire your own guide in kathmandu.... how safe is this? i wanted to try and do the everest base camp/gokyo lake area... has anyone done this trek and how was it? any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!





nepal planning problems


Hi Morgan





My last trip to Nepal was this year in March, April %26amp; May and I departed on 19 May, just 1 day after the first really heavy fall of rain in KTM, so you are going just as the seasons are changing, but should still be fine.





I did not go to EBC but got near to it (Kala Pattar) and alos went to Gokyo Lakes/ Gokyo Ri and did the high passes trek.





It is wonderful. Such an amazing area with views out of this world.





I would only go with reputable local companies. The two local companies I used (via a western company) are both KTM based and very good. They are:





Highland Excursions Nepal Pvt Ltd



PO Box 12733 Baluwater



Kathmandu



Tel 4-413850/4-414783





and





Himalaya Expeditions Inc



PO Box 105



Kathmandu



Tel 4 22 66 22/4 257 257



email: info@himexnepal.com



www.himexnepal.com



Contact: Bhanu Sing Thakuri





I have no hesitation in recommending them.





I camped as some of the high camps for the passes were not near villages but they would arrange teahouse treks to suit you.





My advice would be to definately go to this area, avoid staying in Gorek Shep - it is a hole - consider not going to EBC as I hear it is a dump but definately go to Gokyo and consider the valley that has the village of Thame in it as it is stunning and provides a green contrast to the high peaks.





You will have a great time!



nepal planning problems


Hi,



We were in Nepal in 2003, and our trip was organised by Intertours, very professional and with the best lodging and sightseing. I advisse you to look at their site and ask your questions.



www.intertours-nepal.com



Enjoy Nepal, it is beautiful.




May is quite hot!! Getting on the eadge of weather, but should be okay. I have trekked twice and hired a guide/porter and traveled as just the two of us. Teashouse style. I much prefer this as you set your own pace/schedule and the interaction with your guide can add so much to your opportunity to interact with the locals and learn about life in Nepal. I would never refer someone to a tour as they have poor reputations for the pay and treatment of their porters.





I can refer you to my guide if you wish and give you references for men and ladies that have used him in the past. He is certified and speaks good english, very service oriented.





You will find Nepal inspiring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment