Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Advice needed on Annapurna Circuit

Hi there. I have a few questions on the Annapurna Circuit





1. I am in good physical shape, but the longest trek I have ever done is 3 days. Is this a difficult / demanding trek? Because once I am a week into the trek, there is obviously no turning back!





2. I intend to hire a porter. However, I expect my backpack will be very heavy. Will any of the hotels/hostels let me store some of my things, to make the pack lighter?





3. I was originally planning to do this with a tour. Because I thought it would be good to have a good crowd of people to trek with, for company. If I do it solo with porter, do you generally meet people to hike with?





4. I have also considered the Jomson trek. Which would people recommend for a first timer?





Thanks!





Pete



Advice needed on Annapurna Circuit


I have done the Everest trek and I have gone to MBC, and then around the western 1/2 of the Annapurna circuit. Here are my thoughts;





1. Annapurana, what I did of it, was tougher than the Everest trek, due to significantly more steep up and downs, nearly every day. Also, more of Annapurna was on rock steps as opposed to clear trail walking.





2. I much peferred the people of Annapurna region, more different cultures and they seemed warmer and less driven to charge for every little thing.





3. Both trips I hired a guide/porter. I can refer to mine, he was worth every penny/shilling!!! He helps with the lods, he knows the trails and your distances, as well as options., He knows the better places to stay and eat and he was a great tour guide, explaing many things along the ways. Personally, I would never do a group, I want to go at my pace and not ahve to listen to everyones chatter. You%26#39;ll find plenty of folks to talk to on the trail and in each village and teahouse if you want more human contact.





4. If you do the entire circuit, it would be tough to leave gear somewhere and get back to it!





5. I%26#39;d vote for doing 1/2 the circuit as opposed to Everest or the full circuit for a first time out, but that%26#39;s just my opinion.



Advice needed on Annapurna Circuit


K2Kelley, thanks so much for your lovely response. I would like to go to Nepal and today came to this forum. I saw your response and saved it - many thanks - very helpful.




Dear pete





You may mail to aryalha@yahoo.co.uk . who will help you .



i have done EBC trek through him .He will give good ideas .



%26amp; tell him which seasion are going date he will give u more advice as well as arrange Ur trip memorable one .



john




Hi there Pete!





Let me start by saying you won%26#39;t regret walking Annapurna Circuit. It is not that hard when you%26#39;re in good physical shape and take the time to get used to walking on height . This means it%26#39;s wise to plan the trip with some extra time. I posted last week a recommendation about a great guide. His name is Pema Sherpa and I walked Annapurna with him and a porter in 2004. For him and the porter you will pay about 12 euros in total for a day and that%26#39;s money well spent! He can take care of all the planning, the lodging, hiring a good porter, arranging bus or plane-tickets. There%26#39;s nothing to worry about for you then to enjoy the hike. The view walking down from the heigh pass after a good week of hiking is a mind-blowing experience! If you%26#39;re interested in the guide (pema sherpa) you can contact him by e-mail: psherpa70@hotmail.com





Regarding your other questions: I started my Nepal experience in a nice little hostel in Kathmandu and it was no problem to leave a bag with stuff I didn%26#39;t wanna take on tour. I collected the bag safely after two weeks and payed a few euros for it.





And YES! You%26#39;ll meet plenty of people on the tour. Most of the time there on the same schedule and you%26#39;ll meet them during the day walking or at night at the hostels. It%26#39;s funny how fast you make new friends! I went to Nepal on my own and the only company I had during my four week stay where my guide Pema and my porter Ram, I never felt alone, not a moment!





This was also my first big hiking experience in Asia and I think it was the best holiday ever! Feel free to contact me, wishing you a great time!





Liesbeth






I would agree with Liesbeth%26#39;s report.



I also did the APC in 2004 and was in average shape ( I wish I had been in a bit better shape). But I did fine. I just went slowly.



I also advise against a group.



It is the absolutely most incredible experience I%26#39;ve ever had. Matter of fact I%26#39;m coming back this year to do another trek.



The most challenging thing for me was the altitude. But if you accliamatize each day you shouldn%26#39;t have any problem.



Don%26#39;t pass it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment