Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Total Beginner: Trekking Questions

I%26#39;m 40 years old and thinking about trekking. I love mountains and forests and river and lakes - all things natural. But I have lived a city life and have no idea what trekking is about.





I could take 2 weeks off work. So I assume I could go in a group or alone with a sherp/guide. I%26#39;d imagine I would go for a 1 week trek - 6 nights/7days perhaps. That would give me time to spend in katmandu and eleswhere. For example I love elephants so much. I even have some carvings of them throughout the house - not too many ebcause they have to be %26#39;just right%26#39; lol. I saw something about the Riverside resort in Chitwan, where the elephants come down to the rivr to bath right next to you - I would think I was in heaven!!! I would really want to stay many days there.





Where should I go to trek?





Questions





How do I choose a trek that is not too strenuous for me?



How do I find a sherpa/guide that is good, nice and trustworthy?



Where do we sleep at night while on the trek?



- is there electricity



- is there running water



- do you sleep on the floor in tents ?



- is there toilets



- who provides the food



- if there is no electricity, I guess we need lots of batteries for our cameras?





And ... What sort of exercises should I do in the 6 -12 months leading up to the trekking to reduce injury and maximise enjoyment of the trek?





Total Beginner: Trekking Questions


Hi Greetings from Nepal.It is happy to know that you are intrested trekking in Nepal and welcome.Yes, offcourse you can get here all natural things like hill,mountain,forest,lake and so many river.you can do trek with sherpa/guide or join with another group also it is up to you.You love elephant thatswhy I suggest to you Chitwan National Park where you can get Jungle safari through elephant,Jungle walk,bird watching,elephant ride,elephant bathing and many more activities.you can explore in Kathmandu one week there is lots of activities. The main valley of Kathmandu is itself surrounded by mountains and home to the 3 main cities of Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur. Today it is a vibrant modern city but still with its history and tradition permeating life. Rush hour congestion is as likely to be caused by a resting sacred cow as too much traffic and amid the neon signs, small shrines and temples are still daubed with sacred paint and stew with flowers.





For the beginner trekkers I recommended to do four to seven day%26#39;s trek which is not strenous and easy like Ghorepani Poonhill trek.which trek rout is famous in the Annapurna Region.





Answer :1 which about already mention above



2:You can go through Local register trekking Agency they provided you trustworthy guide ang sherpa



3:You sleep in the local lodge during the trek



4:some where you can get electricity or some where not



5:Yes offcourse there is running hot and cold water



6:During the trek you can get lot of lodge and guest hoses.They provid to you room for stay.



7:Yes offcourse there is toilet facility too.



8:If you will go through agency their staff will provided to you every things while on the trekking.



Actually for the beginner trekker no need any excercise just walking up hill and down hill 4 to 7 hours a day.



If you need any more querry plz mail me.I can supply to you details information.



Have a nice trek and good day !!!





Cheers



Total Beginner: Trekking Questions


Man thanks Panday! Do you have an email address or do I jjust have to click on the %26#39;Send Message%26#39;. If you let me know your email I can save it some place and keep it handy




Hi Sky, we were over in Kathmandu and did a 10 day trek from Lukla to Tenge Boche and it was fantastic.



As already indicated above, if you go through one of the trekking companies, it is all taken care of.



What you need to balance out is cost - book from home like we did and it costs a fair bit - we later discovered when roaming through Thamel that we could have got a similar tour for about half the price.



Downside is that you dont know about availability until you get there - unless you do a fair bit of research online and email the local companies.



Other tips:



- get your VISA before coming in, we had to wait an hour in the terminal in a huge queue and it was muggy as in there cause someone turned off the ceiling fans,



- internal plane flights dont always leave ontime so bring a book, and



- a mighty handy personal convience is to bring with you is wet wipes in a tube or resealable bag - pure luxury especially way up in the mountains on a long drop.





Hope that helps.




my 2-cents worth is;





go solo and hire a guide/porter. that way everything is at your pace. Stop and stay where you wish, though a good guide will be very familiar with the nicer places to stay/eat. They can also suggest routes and places. There are some nice treks out of Pokhara with great annapurana views and Tengbouche is also interesting, though an out and back as opposed to a loop with different sights.



With a guide/porter, assume $10/$12 u.s. dollars a day. teahouse accomodations run from $1-4 dollars a night and food $4-6.



I prefer the guide/porter way because you build a personal relationship and all your money goes directly to the guide to support them and their family, not an agency that pays their staff poorly.





My guide is Binod and his email is





dbsubedi@wlink.com.np

No comments:

Post a Comment