Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

I am a female traveling to Nepal alone. I was told by friends to hire my own porter so I can go at my own pace as it is more affordble than trekking companies that go in groups. Is this safe and how do I find a reputable porter. Also I live in Colorado and hike high peaks, is this trail to touristy? If I want to visit neighboring cities should I hire a taxi or take public transportation. I don%26#39;t want to draw too much attention to myself.





If anyone reading this will be in Nepal for the month of November please reply as well.



Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit


Hi, I travelled to Nepal 11 years ago, all by myself at the age of 20. I visited Kathmandu, the neighbouring cities, the Kathmandu valley and went trekking. I am tall and blond, so I do stand out a bit, but I didn´t have any trouble. It was very safe and it was the best trip (still) I ever made in my life. I didn´t get a porter, just carried my own 15kg. You get used to it. I started the Annapurna Circuit on my own and on the way I got to know some very nice people who I walked with for 3 weeks. 11 years ago the trek wasn´t touristy, I could be walking for days without seeing people, but I guess it has changed unfortunately.



Don´t worry and don´t plan too much, on your way or in Kathmandu while having breakfast / coffee you will meet interesting people who might want to walk with you. Just be careful and use your common sense and you will have the experience of your life. I am flying to Kathmandu for the 2nd time in December. This time with my husband and my 8 year old daughter. We will be doing volunteering work during our Christmas holidays. Good luck with your trip and most important, ENJOY! Take care, Sandra



Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit


Thanks for your reply. I just bought a rather large duffle that has back pack straps. I plan on hiring a porter and wonder if I should switch to a smaller pack for him to carry. I heard that a porter is less than $10.00 per day and for peace of mind I will get one. There is some civil unrest and the Maoists have been known to hassle tourists that travel alone.





I am so impressed that you are going with your family to do volunteer work, I am also planning on that. What organization will you be working with.? Most of the NGO%26#39;S want too much money to volunteer. It is so expensive from the US just to fly that I am looking to work in a school with needy children but don%26#39;t want to spend more than $125.00 per week to help.





Thank you in advance for your correspondance.





Andrea, ascme2ski




Hi I would love to hear more about your volunteer work there. my daughters are 14 and 12 and we would love to hear more about how that works etc, were from Canada and want to travel to Nepal. We know nothing about the area, thanks Tammy from Calgary Canada




I support the hire your own porter concept. I can refer you to my porter/guide, Binod if you wish. You can corresond via email I can also refer you to some other females that have used Binod in the past as reference.





email me if you wish to research this further.





doug.kelley@avistacorp.com




Hello, I am an English woman and am married to a Sherpa.



I will comment on a few points:



1. Things have changed a lot in the last 11 years. 11 years ago the Maoist problems had not started. Since then over 50,000 Nepalese have died.



2. I would definately take a porter and maybe two. There are a number of reasons for this:



(a) They will help you a lot and make your trip enjoyable. Especially at altitude, your trip will be ruined if you are hiking about with 15 or more kg. I climbed Mera Peak (6800m) but still found carrying 5 - 10 kg above 4000m exruciating.



(b) Political - Porters are not paid very much - maybe $10 if they buy thier own food - remember food at altitude is very expensive for them as well. With food, the net cost is a lot less than that. There is tremendous resentment amongst local people from lone trekkers (who are rich - all Westerners are rich in Nepalese terms). Local people feel that the minimum you can do is provide employment to one man who has a family to support - often for weeks on your salary. Remember the average GDP is well less than a 1 usd a day and there are 6-8 months a year when there is no work + many days between treks when they get nothing.



(c) If you want to be less obvious and less attractive for Maoists, take a porter. Remember you will still meet Maoist. They are everywhere - they are many of the local people and you will be asked to give a donation - a tax for passing. Negotiate but pay something. You can get a receipt as well!!



3. Choosing a porter - if you are going to high altitudes, take a porter from a highland group mostly Buddhists - - a Sherpa (an ethnic group, not a job), a Rai or a Temang. Do not take a Brauen (Brahmin)or Chetri (ie a lowland Hindu group - high castes ) who will be useless when you get high up.



Best wishes and write if you want more help.



Catherine



blaiklock220499@yahoo.co.uk




Hello, I am an English woman and am married to a Sherpa.



I will comment on a few points:



1. Things have changed a lot in the last 11 years. 11 years ago the Maoist problems had not started. Since then over 50,000 Nepalese have died.



2. I would definately take a porter and maybe two. There are a number of reasons for this:



(a) They will help you a lot and make your trip enjoyable. Especially at altitude, your trip will be ruined if you are hiking about with 15 or more kg. I climbed Mera Peak (6800m) but still found carrying 5 - 10 kg above 4000m exruciating.



(b) Political - Porters are not paid very much - maybe $10 if they buy thier own food - remember food at altitude is very expensive for them as well. With food, the net cost is a lot less than that. There is tremendous resentment amongst local people from lone trekkers (who are rich - all Westerners are rich in Nepalese terms). Local people feel that the minimum you can do is provide employment to one man who has a family to support - often for weeks on your salary. Remember the average GDP is well less than a 1 usd a day and there are 6-8 months a year when there is no work + many days between treks when they get nothing.



(c) If you want to be less obvious and less attractive for Maoists, take a porter. Remember you will still meet Maoist. They are everywhere - they are many of the local people and you will be asked to give a donation - a tax for passing. Negotiate but pay something. You can get a receipt as well!!



3. Choosing a porter - if you are going to high altitudes, take a porter from a highland group mostly Buddhists - - a Sherpa (an ethnic group, not a job), a Rai or a Temang. Do not take a Brauen (Brahmin)or Chetri (ie a lowland Hindu group - high castes ) who will be useless when you get high up.



Best wishes and write if you want more help.



Catherine



blaiklock220499@yahoo.co.uk




Hello! I%26#39;m a twenty year old female from Hawaii and I plan on going to hike the annapurna circuit in May. I kind of want to do it by myself, no porter or guide and I%26#39;ve done some pretty strenuous treks so I think I%26#39;ll be okay when it comes to that. Could you tell me if you think this is safe or what you would suggest when you return? Also, I wonder if I should bring a tent or rely on teahouses. One last thing, did you run across any Maoists that gave you trouble? Thank you and I hope you had a great time!

1 comment:

  1. Ghorepani Poonhill Trek

    It's not possible todescribe thetrue beauty of the nature in words. Though in the context of Nepal, you can find the numerous places where you will be truly obsessed with the beauty of the nature. Ghorepani Poon hill trekking is one of the trekking that is of short trail in the western hills of Nepal. It is the unparalleled experience of gaining an adventure as well as glancing the unique traditional culture of Gurung and Magar communities.
    Nepal has always been the perfect place for the various types of trekking. Ghorepani Poon hill trekking is one of the popular trekking routes. Every travelerhas definitely heard and yearns to experience the trek to Pun hill. This trek is a short route which is the part of the Annapurna trekking route. Also, it is considered that the trail used to be the historic trade tour to the Tibet. It is the easiest as well as the most travelledtrekking routes of the Annapurna trekking region.The highest point of the Poon hill is 3210m. The PoonHillis widely famous for the early morning sunrise. Enjoy the glimpse of early sunrayson the high hills of Poon. Along with that, the Poon hill is the perfect place to glance the stunning view of the Annapurna ranges, Dhaulagiri, Machhapuchre.Also, this trekking is equally preferred by bird watchers as well as those who want to step the footprints in the narrow trails of the nature.The Annapurna conservation is protected region which is also a part of the Annapurna trekking trail. That is the reason you can encounter with the various wild flora and fauna at the time of your visit. The trekking route starts from the beautiful city of Pokhara which leads you to the northern hills and finally to the high mountains. As, Pokhara it is one of the most beautiful places of Nepal which is embedded with the breathtaking mountains beautiful lakes, rivers, caves, waterfalls and complex geography etc. Yet small but beautiful, there are lots of exciting things you can explore in a Pokhara valley.
    Ghorepani Poon hill trekking is mostly preferable to travel in the month of September to December and February to May. The route also follows the other major location to the Ghandruk, the Gurung villages. This village is widely known for warm hospitality. You will be introduced to their interesting and rich culture and traditions, lifestyle, farming practices.


    Itinerary:
    Day 01: Fly/ drive Kathmandu to Pokhara
    Day 02: Drive to Nayapul & trek to Tikhedhunga
    Day 03: Trek to Ghoreopani
    Day 04: Trek to Poon Hill & back to Ghorepani & back to Tadapani
    Day 05: Trek to Ghandruk
    Day 06: Trek to Nayapul & drive to Pokhara.
    http://www.nepalguideinfo.com/Ghorepani-Poonhill-Trek.php

    http:/http://www.nepalguideinfo.com/Annapurna-circuit-Trek.php http://www.nepalguideinfo.com/Annapurna-Sanctuary-Trek.php/www.nepalguideinfo.com/
    http://www.hikehimalayas.com

    ReplyDelete