Tuesday, April 24, 2012

EBC trek enjoyable?

Hi,

We%26#39;re thinking of doing the everest base camp trek in November. However I%26#39;ve had (albeit second hand) a very bad review, claiming the trek was overcrowded and ';full of s**t'; (I think he meant literally).

We%26#39;ve done other treks before (e.g. Annapurna base camp, Kilimanjaro etc) and really enjoyed them so we aren%26#39;t particulalrlyy squeamish. However if it is just a dirty, overcrowded slog I%26#39;d rather do something else.

Can anyone let me know if this bad report is true or not?

Thanks.

PS Any alternative trek ideas would be appreciated.

PPS If we do go would you recommend tea houses or camping as a better experience?

EBC trek enjoyable?

Hi

I have not been to EBC itself, but have trekked in the Everest region going as far as Gorek Shep and Kala Pattar and then turning left and heading over the High Passes.

I really did not find the trail dirty at all really. There is evidence of other trekkers and you do see other groups and expedititions on the way.

I have heard that EBC is very dirty and crowded (that is why I avoided it) but the area itself is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the whole world. A few of the villages are basic and a bit rough, but that is surely to be expected, and yes a lot of toilets are smelly (again to be expected).

I did the Everest High Passes trek this year (both Exodus %26amp; World Expeditions run this trek) and it was amazing. The views are out of this world the trekking is tough but do-able and it takes you to places in the area that are both remote and providing stunning views of the Everest Massif. We mostly camped (only option) but did stay in a couple of tea houses in Namche.

Please do not be put off visiting this area. In my opinion everyone who is into trekking and the outdoors (as you sound) should visit if at all possible.

  • how to dual boot
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment