Thursday, April 19, 2012

buying clothes in Kathmandu

Am after some advice please. Am 46 y.o. Aussie woman who is walking EBC in October and am unsure whether to purchase thermals etc here is Australia or wait until we are overthere. We are not likely to use winter gear when we get back home. Have got trecking poles, rain jacket and backpack and extremely good boots already. Any help would be apppreciated.



buying clothes in Kathmandu


Hello Molly3



Personally I bought quite a few items on my climb for Kilimanjaro and left a few items for hire. I hired the sleeping bag (it was damp %26amp; smelly), duffel bag (there were 2 holes that I used ducktape to secure and the zip on the one bag broke during the trip), thermal/down trouser (deepsea fisherman style with straps, one of which broke on summit night - even my pin could not hold it as every time I bent down it tugged away). This was my experience for my first hike as I thought I would never use these items ever again. Lo and behold - I am doing EBC on 5 April 2007 and Elbrus 2008. I am 40 in April. I have purchased every single item since the last 6 months - worn %26amp; washed them so that I know how they fit. Having put my trust in another party %26amp; arriving %26amp; not finding good quality gear was very frustrating. As well the price had suddenly gone up even though the pricelist I had been submitted prior was lower. We had to have an argument before I was given the quoted price. (But all of this happened in Tanzania - Nepal could be different). This is merely my experience. Good luck with your trek. My mail amaharaj@krafteurope.com if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment